Demolition of Crown Closures, Poole



Barratt Homes




Asbestos RemovalChimney DemolitionDemolitionSite ClearanceSoft-Strip

Hughes and Salvidge were appointed to the role of Principal Contractor for demolition works at the former Crown Closures factory in Poole.

The main works consisted of:

  • Establishing the site compound
  • Installing temporary fencing
  • Removal of all asbestos containing materials
  • Soft strip of the buildings
  • Demolition of all existing structures
  • Crushing and stockpiling of all resultant brickwork, concrete and hard inert arisings
  • Disposal of waste materials arising from the asbestos removal and demolition works

The site was surrounded by a residential area and some local businesses that were still in operation. We ensured that our operations were kept to reasonable working hours and deliveries and all other traffic movements took place outside of rush hour and school run times.

The 14-week programme consisted of the demolition of multiple buildings. The majority of the buildings were steel framed, clad with brickwork and metal sheeting. There were also two office blocks, two- and four-storeys high  with steel frames, clad with brickwork and masonry, flat roofs with intermediate concrete floors.

Demolition works began following asbestos removal works. In order to minimise noise and dust, the Northern flank wall of one of the buildings was left in place throughout the demolition to act as barrier for the adjacent properties and roads. On completion, the flank wall was pulled into the footprint of the building.

The chimney was the last structure to be demolished. This was left until last to ensure that we had a clear working area around the chimney. Hard arisings were used to create a ‘mat’ for a high reach excavator to work from, this gave the high reach an extra height advantage to demolish the chimney safely. The high reach excavator reached up and over the top of the chimney and began to munch down in sections using the concrete cracking attachment. Once the chimney was reduced to around 8m in height, a ZX-470 excavator continued the demolition before pushing the remaining section over into the designated safe area.

All materials were processed accordingly and separated on site, ready to load away.