Southampton City Council
Asbestos RemovalDemolitionSite Clearance
The buildings earmarked for demolition were Ashton House, Somborne House and Kingsclere Close, all containing a mixture of residential and retail units.
The main works consisted of:
- Asbestos Removal
- A comprehensive soft strip of all buildings
- The demolition of Ashton House, Somborne House and Kingsclere Close
- The removal of all foundations, drainage and redundant services, concrete slabs and external hardstand areas
- The crushing and stockpiling of all resultant brickwork, concrete and hard inert arisings
- The disposal of waste materials arising from the asbestos removal and demolition works
The site was located within a residential area therefore careful consideration was required for all works being undertaken. Traffic movements were pre-planned to ensure minimum disruption to adjacent neighbours. Working hours were agreed with the client to avoid busy times, such as school runs and rush hour. Jet washers were used to remove all mud and debris from vehicles prior to leaving site. Newsletters were also distributed to local residents with information about the works, this included work timings, the nature of the works and contact details for questions and queries.
70 new homes and additional retail units are planned for the now-vacant land.